Drying a residential property

When drying out a residential property after water damage or flood damage, there are a number of very important things you will need to know.

  1. Make sure you get an INDEPENDENT survey of the property carried-out by a damp expert. This is very important as damp problems are a bit like icebergs, in that what you can see is probably just the tip of the problem.  for instance, we have seen instances where what appears to be a minor leak from a washing machine, actually caused a major amount of damp through the floor and walls, requiring the entire kitchen to be ripped-out and the walls an floor to be stripped back.
  2. Get help with your claim.  Your insurance company will instruct a Loss Adjuster to your claim, who’s job it is to save the insurer money.  They will often do this by recommending shortcuts and by negotiating the builder down to the point where the problem gets “painted over” rather than properly cured.  As an FCA regulated company, we are authorised to and happy to deal with the Loss Adjuster ON YOUR BEHALF to make sure that your claim is dealt with correctly.
  3. Ensure that YOU are happy with all remedial work done BEFORE signing-off the work.  If you are in any doubt, get an independent surveyor to carry-out a final inspection before accepting that the work is complete.

If you have suffered a flood or water damage, we recommend that you CALL US FIRST, and we will be happy to advise you on who you need to speak to, what steps to take, and what to say to the various parties to ensure that your claim is dealt with in the correct manner.

Chris BrownResidential Property Drying